Return to Litchfield Farms Organic + Natural Home Page

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Oppression of Labels

I was an early believer and adopter of the USDA Organic label.  I am a member of the Organic Trade Association and active in the organic, local and slow food movements. I am also disillusioned.  The USDA organic label has really been co-opted by agra-business. When I see "organic" pop tarts wrapped in the same packaging and with the same flavor and texture as the commodity pop tarts I just shake my head in disbelief.  I suspected that once the USDA got into the branding business it would mean trouble, but I had no idea the values I have always associated with the organic movement would be so completely transformed.  Today, I think the USDA organic label has minimal value.  The proof is as simple as picking up a package of organic anything and reading the label-- pretty much the same as any other product.  I still buy many organic products, but mainly out of hope rather than any real belief that they are better.

My feelings about the sustainability moniker is following the same path.  I have made sure our company has clearly articulated standards and beliefs-- just go to our Seafood page and click on "Sustainability: Beliefs and Standards" and you can read them. It seems however that whenever I try to elicit such standards and beliefs from other companies I get a blank stare.  I am afraid that today sustainable is a fairly meaningless term.  You really have to ask questions today- just be prepared for the answers as they may surprise you. 

I still hold onto my "organic" and "sustainable" values, but increasingly I am suspect of the use of these terms.

1 comment:

  1. So where do we start. I want to find seafood that is sustainable but don't have the time to do all the research and then form an opinion of what is the best source of information. I'm sure I could find information out there that would tell me anything I want to hear. What makes your informtion more valid than any others? Your opinion could be the one that someone takes and ends up on the right track, but just by chance. I'm talking about the common consumer that takes "just enough" information for them and runs with and thinks they are doing the right thing. Most people out there would trust government information and labelling mandated by them to help guide them in their choices. Unfortunately there seems to be no real integrity in labelling.

    ReplyDelete